Google Adsense is the hottest income generating program on the Web today. The program has given web publishers a chance to monetize their websites by displaying contextually relevant text advertising.
One of the best success story with Adsense is Markus Finch, who operates the immensely popular online dating website PlentyofFish.com . PlentyofFish.com’s business model is different from the subscription based model used by the big online dating websites. Instead of subscriptions, Markus relies on advertising, specifically Google Adsense to derive income from his website. In a post at Webmasterworld.com, Markus reveals that he has earned $1 million from Adsense alone in 3 months, and the lessons he shares are:
1. Understand your traffic and how it could affect your keywords.
2. Create sites that will bring in repeat traffic.
3. Have your users create content and lots of it.
4. Do not enter markets with a lot of competition monitized via adsense.
5. Keep your site simple.
6. Learn from various forums and if people are not talking about your market, there is a good chance you will make money.
Markus’ website has an impressive Alexa rank of 1,407. What is more impressive is that the site is only a two-person operation, with Markus getting help from his girlfriend unlike his big competitors run by big corporations (e.g. Viacom owns Match.com).